The Technology is available under licence for free
Highly contaminated or defect-rich silicon such as Thin Film or at grain boundaries in multicrystalline silicon, has very short minority carrier lifetimes of often less than 1 μs.
Up until now accurate measurement of the silicon quality with commonly-used techniques has been a challenge as they are limited to longer lifetimes and larger probing areas. Often results are beyond the speed and sensitivity of the typically-used detectors and electronics making quality control difficult.
UNSW Australia researchers have developed a new multi-function Photoluminescence tool that provides the flexibility required to accurately test difficult samples and regions of particular interest.
- Time resolved measurement, minority carrier lifetime of 1 ns to beyond 1 ms
- High light sensitivity and a wide dynamic range.
- Useful over a range of wavelengths with high resolution.
- Focus on small spots on the test sample of less than 40 μm in diameter.
- Temperature control of the sample during testing.
- Quality control and Lifetime Testing of multi-crystalline or thin film cells.
- Detailed testing for regions of interest within cells (e.g. grain boundaries).
- Quality control of other semiconductor devices.
This technology is available for free as an Easy Access Licence to companies and individuals.